Friday, April 07, 2006

What Type of Knitter am I?

I couldn't find my Economist last night so I picked up Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's new book Knitting Rules to read prior to going to sleep. Two hours later, I finished the book for the third time. What a hoot! I definitely recommend it to all knitters for some light reading to make you smile. And a warning for non-knitters: this book is not recommended for the non-knitters of the world [85% of the population]...you simply will not get it. Do note however, you don't need to have been knitting long to 'get it'...I have been knitting since the Olympics...I got it. If you're a non-knitter but have a whole lot of knitter friends...you may get it. Try knitting first...then you will definately get it.

Stephanie's book Knitting Rules has many ways to help define the type of knitter you are. From a marketing standpoint, this is a dream come true. So many ways to segment the growing knitting market. From a 'know yourself' standpoint, it's quite fun to take all the various quizes throughout the book. Here are some of my results:

What is your level of knitting obsession? [pg.16]

Why was I a non-knitter for fifty years? The five reasons given on page 13 really don't fit for me. I avoiding knitting to avoid being obsessed by knitting. If I was obsessed by knitting how could I weave? I figure one can only be obsessed by one thing at a time. I was a bit nervous taking the 'what is your level of knitting obsession' quiz. But I felt content with the results.

The results indicated that I am the 'scientist' - identified by the stuff in my knitting bag. Yes - -I will admit that my knitting bag has a calculator, some graph paper, a few excel spread sheets and a list of my knitting yarn stash. What's wrong with that? At least, after three months I have not risen to the level of 'stalking other people to stare at their sweaters'. Hmmm... Theresa was wearing a lovely knitted sweater at the last Guild meeting...

There was quite a discussion about one's yarn stash...

What do you say when someone says, "You sure have a lot of yarn."? [pg. 29]

I went for a modified response 5: "What? What yarn? These are my chihuahuas." My response to a similar question regarding my weaving stash has always been..."oh, I am allergic to wool". [note to self: I must remember to take a picture of my weaving stash.]

There is the quiz regarding a "yarn diet" for your stash - - do you need to lose a few pounds ? [pg. 34]

My answers were mostly 'A' meaning I should get to the yarn store right away. I now know that in comparison to most of you knitters out there, I have nothing in my knitting stash. In fact, I am still one of those oddities who must first have a knitting project before buying some knitting yarn. [Although I have next to nothing with respect to my knitting yarns... my weaving yarn stash is an entirely different matter.]

For those marketers out there, here are other ways that the knitting world is segmented:

* I gauge...others do and some do not.

* Like Martha, I put my patterns in plastic protectors, others have piles...no one tosses...

* I do not wear hats and rarely a sock...

* I use circular needles...others will duel you for the straight ones

* I am in the 'scarf stage' of knitting and may never leave except for an occasional leap to sculptural knitting...

*And as for sweaters I think I'll avoid that knitting 'black hole phenomenon'...for now.


Read the book - its fun! [PS. there is also actual knitting content inside too- - like gauge tables, burn tables, helpful hints on sweaters, socks, scarves and other stuff.]


WARNING TO WEAVERS: Do not idlely ask the question "Which is better straight or circular needles?" to a group of knitters. Expect a response similar to this question asked of a group of weavers "What is the better way to warp - front to back or back to front." Either way - the noise is deafening.

No comments: