Sunday, October 03, 2010

Taquete Gamps

Here is something fun... taquete gamps in ten colors of warp woven with a 10 and 12 dent reed with one wet finished.

I have always wanted to do this and I finally got the chance due to the convergence of two projects.

The first was the challenge from our local guild - be inspired by a book from our guild library. I selected a book called Color Guide for Handweavers by Joyce Chown and Mary Black where the authors applied color theory to fiber.

The second project was for my color study group; Centered on Color & Fiber. For this period, we were free to select any aspect of color/fiber we wanted learn about it, share it and exhibit it at our local guild festival. I decided to focus on acheiving better results in taquete through weaving a gamp.

I generally weave my beetles with three wefts; generally with a light, medium and dark value plus one colored warp. No matter how hard I beat; the colors of the wefts not on top and the warp color peak out and impact the color of the weft on top. Hence I find it difficult to get the color I really want.

I used three pattern wefts in the gamp; purple, white and red. Not my favorite colors but definately light, medium and a dark value.

I then used a variety of permutations of 'hidden' wefts - those that travel underneath the color which is showing on top. I varied them by value and by saturated vs. unsaturated. Six permutations for each pattern weft.

Gamps are not normally exhibited so I converted mine into free standing pieces. The variety in the colors from the different combinations of warp and hidden weft is quite amazing as is the difference between reeds and finishing.

I am working on a new series of woven beetles and I would like the pieces to exhibit more vibrant and truer colors than my previous pieces. Based on these gamps, I am going with the 10 dent reed and will try wet finishing the pieces. Next I need to select the best warp color - more testing is required.

1 comment:

Karen said...

taquete totems...they look good and will show well for the challenge...