Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Woven or Knitted

To continue my review of knitting books from the LA Public Library. This one is really fun and a definate mood lifter. Knit Scarves; 16 Cool Patterns to Keep You Warm by Candi Jensen. I am still smiling just remembering the book. A wide varied selection of scarves; all looking fairly easy to knit. Great photos, cheerful colors and the knitting tips have wonderful visuals. This one has potential to be in my personal library although I may quickly grow out of it as my knitting experience grows.

I sampled something called a woven stitch. It is supposed to be like weaving. And yes, it does come out like that. In fact it looks pretty similar to the material I wove to make Chili who is modelling with the book. The 'woven' stitch is a nice square flat stitch - much more uniform and pleasant than the garter or stockinette stitch. With that description I am sure you can tell that I prefer it to the others. I'm not sure why I would knit something that I could weave..but I guess I really can't carry around my eight harness table loom!

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I enjoy reading your knitting book reviews. There are some books I love to look at it - but I wouldn't make any of the items. Nice to hear someone else finds this true as well.

Dipsy D. said...

Thank you for your hint about the Knit Scarves book by Candi Jensen, it seems like such a nice one, I'll definitely have to check that out!
I haven't tried the woven stitch yet, but it does look great indeed, definitely worth a try!
Have fun knitting, and best wishes from Austria!